An often overlooked but important part of any organization’s safety and compliance training is fire extinguisher training. Fire extinguisher training should be performed for any employee who would be expected to utilize a fire extinguisher for an incident stage fire. Training should be done at initial employment and annually thereafter. The training should include:
- Communicating the difference between the different types of fires and fire extinguishers.
- Fire safety and prevention tips.
- The proper way to use a fire extinguisher, specifically the P.A.S.S. method:
- Pull the pin.
- Aim the nozzle.
- Squeeze the handle to discharge the extinguisher.
- Sweep spray, aiming at the base of the fire, the retardant in a sweeping motion.
- The different stages of a fire.
- The fire triangle – fuel, heat or ignition source and oxygen are the three components that a fire must have. The purpose of the extinguisher is to remove one or more of the components.
- Emergency exit awareness.
The AlaCOMP Online Safety Library contains a Fire Safety Section under the topic index tab that contains the resources needed to complete fire extinguisher training for your employees. Please contact the Loss Control Department for questions or additional help.